Unattended Child Policy
UNATTENDED CHILD POLICY
One of the goals of the Millinocket Memorial Library is to provide a comfortable, welcoming environment for all patrons and, particularly, children. However, no public place, including the library, is safe for children left unattended. Library staff cannot take the place of a parent, guardian or caregiver. The library staff cannot know if children are left by themselves or where they are in the building or grounds. They do not know when they leave either with parents or strangers. Unattended children may also become anxious which can lead to behavior problems.
The following policy has been adopted by the Millinocket Memorial Library’s Board of Trustees. It clarifies for parents, children, and staff the concern of the library for the well-being and safety of its youngest patrons:
1. The Millinocket Memorial Library welcomes children to use the services of the library and encourages parents to enjoy the library with their children.
2. Children and young people are welcome at the library for any period during which they engage in appropriate activities which include: Doing homework or research, reading, browsing for books or other library materials, etc.
3. The responsibility for the safety and behavior of children visiting the library rests with the parent | guardian | caregiver, not with the library staff.
4. Children under the age of 10 may not be left unattended in the library.
5. Children under the age of 10 are expected to be in the immediate presence of the parent | guardian | caregiver who is responsible for supervising the safety and behavior of their child(ren) while in the library or on library grounds.
6. Children between the ages of 10 and 12 may be left unattended as long as the
behavior of the unattended child does not become inappropriate. The rules for patron behavior will be applied in each instance.
7. The staff of the Millinocket Memorial Library have been charged with the responsibility of enforcing this policy. Violators may be denied use of the library under the policies set for in our Policy for Patron Code of Conduct.
8. Exceptions to the policy may be made in certain circumstances at the discretion of the Director or staff member in charge as so designated by the Library Director.