Bikes– Katahdin Gear Library
The Katahdin Gear Library is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure club, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation. Learn more about it here, and follow the gear library on Facebook for the most up-to-date information.
FAT TIRE BIKES
We now have three fat bikes! In the winter, they can be checked out for three days with no renewal. Learn how to reserve them here.
Mountain bike-lending typically starts in late spring and ends at the end of October.
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older and have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card. Register for a library card here.
- You must sign our 2020 Gear Library Waiver. Borrowers under 18 must have a legal parent or guardian present to sign the waiver.
- Fat bikes can be checked out for 3 days at a time with no renewal.
- Mountain bikes can be checked out for 1 week, with 1 week guaranteed renewal. After the 1 week renewal period, you may check it out again if no one else has it on hold.
- To renew gear, call the library at 207-723-7020, ask at the circulation desk, or renew it yourself through your online library account.
- There is a fine of $1 per day that gear is returned late.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
The answers to the following questions may not apply during the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be circulating bikes through our curbside pickup service. Learn more here or call us at 207-723-7020 with questions.
When can I check out bikes?
Whenever the library is open. In addition to our volunteers at the circulation desk downstairs providing regular library services, we strive to have at least one person upstairs dedicated to Katahdin Gear Library at all times.
What type of bikes does the KGL lend?
We offer L.L. Bean Sport Trail mountain bikes for adults and L.L. Bean Ridge Runner bikes for kids. Our youth mountain bikes are generally too large for kids under age 8.
We also offer 3 Reid Hercules Fat Tire Bikes. They are all size adult medium.
What if I lose or damage something?
You are responsible for the replacement cost for any lost or significantly damaged gear. Replacement costs are below:
- Adult Mountain Bike– $550
- Youth Mountain Bike– $300
- Adult Fat Tire Bike– $515
- Bike Helmet– $50
Where should I ride in the Millinocket area?
There are many places to ride in the Katahdin region, but a few local options are listed below:
- Michaud Trail (Beginner)
- Penobscot River Trails (Beginner)
- Katahdin Region Multi-Use Trail (Intermediate)
- New England Outdoor Center (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced)
Does the gear library accept bike donations?
At this time, we do not accept bike donations, due to limited space. Thank you for thinking of us!
The Katahdin Gear Library offers bike repairs. If you have a bike you would like repaired, please bring it in, and ask for a bike repair questionnaire at the circulation desk or print it yourself here. Our bike mechanic, Dave, will work on it and be in touch with you shortly. All bike repairs are by donation– pay what you can.
If you have skills in this area and would like to be involved, please email Matt DeLaney at email@example.com.
Gear library staff do not provide instruction in how to use the gear. However, below is a video resource to get you started on mountain biking: