Bikes– Katahdin Gear Library
The Katahdin Gear Library is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure club, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation. Learn more about it here, and follow the gear library on Facebook for the most up-to-date information.
Bike-lending will wrap up for the 2019 season on Friday, November 1st.
During our bike-lending season (late spring to mid-fall), please visit the library during our hours of operation and ask for a bike check out form.
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older and have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card (Borrowers under 18 must have a legal guardian present with an MML library card). Register for a library card here.
- Bikes can be checked out for one week at at time.
- Gear can be renewed, in person or by calling the library, for up to one additional week, if no other patrons are waiting for it.
- There is a fine of $1 per day that gear is returned late.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
When can I check out bikes?
Whenever the library is open. In addition to our volunteers at the circulation desk downstairs providing regular library services, we strive to have at least one person upstairs dedicated to Katahdin Gear Library at all times.
What type of bikes does the KGL lend?
We offer L.L. Bean Sport Trail mountain bikes for adults and L.L. Bean Ridge Runner bikes for kids. Our youth mountain bikes are generally too large for kids under age 8.
What if I lose or damage something?
You are responsible for the replacement cost for any lost or significantly damaged gear. Replacement costs are below:
- Adult Mountain Bike– $550
- Youth Mountain Bike– $300
- Bike Helmet– $50
Where should I ride in the Millinocket area?
There are many places to ride in the Katahdin region, but a few local options are listed below:
- Michaud Trail (Beginner)
- Penobscot River Trails (Beginner)
- Katahdin Region Multi-Use Trail (Intermediate)
- New England Outdoor Center (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced)
Does the gear library accept bike donations?
At this time, we do not accept bike donations, due to limited space. Thank you for thinking of us!
The Katahdin Gear Library offers bike repairs. If you have a bike you would like repaired, please bring it in, and ask for a bike repair questionnaire at the circulation desk or print it yourself here. Our bike mechanic, Dave, will work on it and be in touch with you shortly. All bike repairs are by donation– pay what you can.
If you have skills in this area and would like to be involved, please email Matt DeLaney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gear library staff do not provide instruction in how to use the gear. However, below is a video resource to get you started on mountain biking: