Katahdin Gear Library
The Katahdin Gear Library (KGL) is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure club, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation. Follow the gear library on Facebook for the most up-to-date information.
The gear library circulates:
- Mountain bikes (Late spring to mid-fall)
- Backpacks (Year-round)
- Kayaks, paddle boards, and canoes (Summer and early fall)
- Skis and snowshoes (Winter and early spring)
Click on any of the above links for more information about each type of gear, its lending rules, and to reserve it using your MML library card.
- To borrow gear, please visit the library during our hours of operation and ask for a gear check-out form.
- You must have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card and be 18 years or older (Borrowers under 18 must have a legal guardian 18 years or older present with a valid library card). Register for a library card here.
- Generally, gear can be checked out for one week.
HOW WE GOT STARTED:
The gear library was founded by Millinocket Memorial Library in 2018 with support from Outdoor Sport Institute, Maine Community Foundation, Appalachian Trail Conservancy, Bicycle Coalition of Maine, and many private donors to support healthy living, empowerment through knowledge, and community-building through outreach, communication, and volunteerism.