Katahdin Gear Library
WHO WE ARE
The Katahdin Gear Library (KGL) is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure hub, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation. Learn more about our story here. We rent out:
- Winter: Cross-country skis, snowshoes, fat tire bikes
- Spring/Summer/Fall: Mountain bikes, canoes, kayaks, & paddle boards
- Year round: Backpacks
HOW IT WORKS
There are two ways to use the KGL;
1. Become a member, or
2. Rent gear by the day or week.
All proceeds go directly back into the program so that we can sustain the gear library for years to come.
OPTION 1: BECOME A MEMBER
Anyone can become a member for a year at a time. Members can check out gear for free for the first 48 hours. To check out gear for longer, members can rent by the day or week. All members must sign our waiver.
- Katahdin Region Residents: Membership is FREE, but you are required to attend 1 workshop or volunteer event per year. You can have an individual or household membership.
- Visitors: For visitors to the region, an individual membership costs $45/year OR a household membership costs $150/year.
*Katahdin Region towns include: Millinocket, East Millinocket, Medway, Sherman, Stacyville, Patten, Mt. Chase, & Island Falls
OPTION 2: RENT BY THE DAY OR WEEK
- Visit the gear library during our open hours.
- Sign our waiver. If under 18, a parent/guardian must sign it for you.
- Check out your gear by the day or the week for the rates below.
TYPES OF GEAR
We offer different gear depending on the time of year. Click on each type of gear to learn more: