Katahdin Gear Hub
The Katahdin Gear Hub is a branch of the Millinocket Memorial Library for members to borrow bikes, participate in fun and educational workshops, and borrow tools to fix their gear.
Where: 96 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket.
Hours of Operation: Sat 9-12, Tues 3-7, Thur 3-7
Register to stay plugged in and learn how you can participate!
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more.
- To borrow a bike, please visit the Gear Hub during open hours (Saturday 9-12, Tuesday 3-7, Thursday 3-7).
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older, have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card, and provide photo identification. (Borrowers under 18 must have a legal guardian 18 years or older present with a valid library card.)
- Gear Hub staff will spend 30 minutes fitting you with a bike and providing basic safety information.
- Borrower and staff will set a return date (during Gear Hub open hours and within 7 days of the check out date).
The Katahdin Gear Hub has a complete bicycle tool set, bike stand, and work space to wrench on your bike. Depending on staff availability, we may be able to assist you with your bike repair, but please schedule in advance if you require assistance by emailing email@example.com.
If you have a new or old bike in your garage that isn’t getting any use, please consider donating it to the Katahdin Gear Hub. We will fix it up and help find it a new home! Stop in during open hours to make a donation.
OTHER WAYS TO PARTICIPATE:
The Katahdin Gear Hub offers a number of workshops and classes for you to learn to ride, find trails, and work on your rig. For a complete list of upcoming events and to register for an event, please visit our Events section. You can also volunteer to help teach a class or work at the shop. Register below to sign up.
THANKS: The Katahdin Gear Hub is an outreach program of the Millinocket Memorial Library, in partnership with Outdoor Sport Institute and The Bicycle Coalition of Maine, made possible through the generous support of the Maine Community Foundation, the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and many private donors.
WHERE: The Katahdin Gear Hub is a downtown branch of the Millinocket Memorial Library and is located at 96 Penobscot Ave next to Maine Heritage Timber.
- Saturday, July 28th, – 9am – 4pm. Traffic Safety 101 with Bicycle Coalition of Maine; Location: KGH – 96 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket. REGISTER HERE
- Tuesday, August 7 – 5pm – “Be Your Own Mechanic” with Bicycle Coalition of Maine; Location: KGH – 96 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket. REGISTER HERE
- Saturday / Sunday, August 11-12 – Wilderness First Aid and CPR; Location: KGH – 96 Penobscot Ave, Millinocket. REGISTER HERE
- Are helmets available to borrow?
- I have an old bike that I never ride just sitting in my garage. Do you accept bicycle donations?
- Who is responsible if I break the bike?
- How long does it take to borrow a bike?
- When and where do I borrow a bike?
- I have a flat tire / busted cable / broken chain… do you have spare parts?
- Can you repair my bike?
- Where am I allowed to ride the bike?
- How long may I borrow a bike?
- Do I have to be a Millinocket Memorial Library cardholder to borrow a bike?
Are helmets available to borrow?
Yes, all participants are required to wear a helmet when riding a Katahdin Gear Hub bike.Back to Index
I have an old bike that I never ride just sitting in my garage. Do you accept bicycle donations?
Yes, please!Back to Index
Who is responsible if I break the bike?
When you check out a bicycle, you accept responsibility for any damages to the bike. Staff at the Katahdin Gear Hub will assess the condition of the bike if something breaks.Back to Index
How long does it take to borrow a bike?
Patrons should allow at least 30 minutes to fill out paperwork and go over the bike with staff.Back to Index
When and where do I borrow a bike?
Visit us at our new downtown Millinocket shop, located at 96 Penobscot Avenue on Saturday 9-12, Tuesday 3-7, and Thursday 3-7.Back to Index
I have a flat tire / busted cable / broken chain… do you have spare parts?
Yes, we have the most commonly sized tubes, cables, and chains available for sale.Back to Index
Can you repair my bike?
We have tools and parts to make basic repairs and will help you if we can, depending on the nature of the repair and the expertise of the staff member working. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set schedule a time or ask questions.Back to Index
Where am I allowed to ride the bike?
You are allowed to ride the bike anywhere that you would ride the bike if it were your own. We advise that you use caution if you are not familiar or confident riding bikes. In that case, we recommend you check our Events section for upcoming introductory classes.Back to Index
How long may I borrow a bike?
Borrowers may have the bike for up to 7 days from the time of borrowing. At the time of checkout, you will schedule a time during the Gear Hub’s normal hours of operation to return the bike.Back to Index
Do I have to be a Millinocket Memorial Library cardholder to borrow a bike?
Yes, you can register for a library card at the Library at 5 Maine Ave. Visit here to learn more.Back to Index