Katahdin Gear Library – Land
The Katahdin Gear Library (KGL) is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure club, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation.
- To borrow a bike or backpack, please visit the library during our hours of operation and ask for a gear check-out form.
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older, have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card, and provide photo identification. (Borrowers under 18 must have a legal guardian 18 years or older present with a valid library card.)
- Gear Library staff will spend 10-15 minutes fitting you with a bike or backpack and providing basic safety information.
- Gear will be due seven days after check-out. Gear cannot be renewed, and there is a fine of $1 per day that it is late.
- Following a gear checkout, borrowers must wait one week to check out a boat or paddle board again.
Check out our Frequently Asked Questions to learn more.
The Katahdin Gear Library offers bike repairs. If you have a bike you would like repaired, please bring it in and ask for a bike repair questionnaire at the circulation desk or print it yourself here. Our bike mechanic will work on it and be in touch with you shortly.
At this time we are not accepting bicycle donations as we are in a temporary location and do not have extra space. Thank you for thinking of us!
KGL will be offering workshops and classes for you to learn to ride, find trails, and work on your bike. For a complete list of upcoming events and to register for an event, please visit our calendar. You can also volunteer to help teach a class or work at the shop; register below to sign up.
- Are helmets available to borrow?
- Who is responsible if I break the bike?
- How long does it take to borrow a bike?
- I have a flat tire / busted cable / broken chain… do you have spare parts?
- Can you repair my bike?
- Where am I allowed to ride the bike?
- How long may I borrow a bike?
- Do I have to be a Millinocket Memorial Library cardholder to borrow a bike?
Are helmets available to borrow?
Yes, all participants are required to wear a helmet when riding a Katahdin Gear Hub bike.Back to Index
Who is responsible if I break the bike?
When you check out a bicycle, you accept responsibility for any damages to the bike. Staff at the Katahdin Gear Hub will assess the condition of the bike if something breaks.Back to Index
How long does it take to borrow a bike?
Patrons should allow at least 30 minutes to fill out paperwork and go over the bike with staff.Back to Index
I have a flat tire / busted cable / broken chain… do you have spare parts?
Yes, we have the most commonly sized tubes, cables, and chains available for sale.Back to Index
Can you repair my bike?
We have tools and parts to make basic repairs and will help you if we can, depending on the nature of the repair and the expertise of the staff member working. Contact email@example.com to set schedule a time or ask questions.Back to Index
Where am I allowed to ride the bike?
You are allowed to ride the bike anywhere that you would ride the bike if it were your own. We advise that you use caution if you are not familiar or confident riding bikes. In that case, we recommend you check our Events section for upcoming introductory classes.Back to Index
How long may I borrow a bike?
Borrowers may have the bike for up to 7 days from the time of borrowing. At the time of checkout, you will schedule a time during the Gear Hub’s normal hours of operation to return the bike.Back to Index
Do I have to be a Millinocket Memorial Library cardholder to borrow a bike?
Yes, you can register for a library card at the Library at 57 Penobscot Ave. Visit here to learn more.Back to Index