Katahdin Gear Library – Water
The Katahdin Gear Library is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure club, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation. Learn more about it here.
Borrow A Boat/Paddle Board:
To borrow a boat or paddle board this summer, please visit the library during our hours of operation and ask for a boat or paddle board check out form.
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older, have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card, and provide photo identification. Borrowers under 18 must have a legal guardian present with a valid library card.
- Boats or paddle boards will be due seven days after check-out. Gear cannot be renewed, and there is a fine of $1 per day that it is late.
- Following a boat or paddle board checkout, borrowers must wait one week to check out a boat or paddle board again.
Frequently Asked Questions
What services are currently provided at the KGL-Water?
- Library cardholders in good standing may borrow boats if they are at least 18 years or older or have the consent of a parent or guardian.
When is the KGL-Water open?
- KGL-Water is open whenever the library is open. In addition to our volunteers at the circulation desk downstairs providing regular library services, we strive to have at least one person upstairs dedicated to Katahdin Gear Library at all times.
What type of boats does the KGL lend?
- KGL offers kayaks for one person, canoes for two people, and paddle boards for one person
- Patrons are responsible for the care of equipment while in their possession
- Patrons are responsible for transporting equipment to and from the KGL
- Patrons are responsible for their own safety, including always wearing a life jacket
Life Jacket– $40
Kayak– $600, Kayak Paddle– $40
Canoe– $1200, Canoe Paddle– $30
Paddle Board– $800, Paddle Board Paddle– $40
A printable version of our Frequently Asked Questions is available below.