May Newsletter 2015
MAY NEWSLETTER FROM MILLINOCKET MEMORIAL LIBRARY
May Newsletter 2015 ~ It’s May and we have a few schedule changes to alert you to:
- The Board of Trustees has already met and there will be no meeting on May 19.
- The library will be closed on Monday May 25 for Memorial Day.
Other things going on this month:
- Children’s Story Time is on Tuesdays at 11:15am.
- The Book Discussion Group meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 9:00am. On May 19, the book to be discussed is “The Light Between Oceans” by M.L. Stedman. New members welcome!
- The theme of this month’s Literary Club display in our glass cases is: In a Vintage Kitchen. Have you ever seen a metal pie lifter or a wood butter printer and mold? Lots of interesting items that some of us will recognize from our grandmothers’ kitchens. Come and have a look!
- Don’t forget to buy your Raffle tickets for a chance to win the 2 Maine Heritage Timber end tables on display near the front desk. Tickets are $5 each or 6 for $20, and the drawing will be held July 4th.
The Raffle is just one of many fundraising activities currently under way, with many more planned for the upcoming months. In February, you might have cast your vote for the Library through the Bangor Savings Bank Community Matters More award program, and enough of you voted for the Library to make us the regional recipient of the $5,000 award. Three cheers to everyone for making it happen! Last month’s Turkey Dinner at St. Martin’s and the Literary Club luncheon were wonderfully successful, and the ongoing Appeal mailings continue to bring donations that are deeply appreciated. And, as always you can donate online by going to the Library’s website, scrolling down in the Menu options to “Support”, and clicking on “Donations/Endowments” to find the “Donate” button. Thank you for all of your support!
We’re still looking for volunteers, hoping especially to be able to increase the number of hours that we’re open. There are lots of tasks we could use help with and there’s sure to be something you’d enjoy doing, so please call Lori if you’d like to help, even if only for a few hours each week.
The Summer Reading Program is not far off! Flyers for “Reading Is Our Thing!” (a Dr. Seuss theme) will go home with students by June 1, sign up is during the week of June 15, and the program runs from the week of June 22 to August 6. (Details about the end of year party will be announced later.) Come join us for a fun filled summer of reading!
An exciting bit of news comes from the Maine School and Library Network: Internet connectivity is being upgraded with increased bandwidth by July 1. What that means for you, our patrons, is that speeds will be faster, more people will be able to use wifi at the same time, and you’ll be able to connect from a larger area.
And finally, this month’s book order will bring us new fiction by Judy Blume, Lincoln Child, Clive Cussler, Jeffrey Deaver, Barbara Delinsky, Elizabeth George, James Grippando, John Grisham, Lisa Jackson, Fern Michaels, Linda Lael Miller, Michael Palmer, James Patterson, Jodi Picoult, and Jeff Shaara; mysteries by Ace Atkins, Rita Mae Brown, and Joseph Finder; the Maine fiction title “Finders Keepers” by Stephen King; a biography of Gerda Lerner; and the nonfiction title “My Journey With Maya” by Travis Smiley.
Please check out our new website and tell us what you think! (See the web address above, under our street address.) Always let us know if you have any questions or feedback, and until next time, enjoy the glorious Spring weather and see you at the Library!