Skis & Snowshoes– Katahdin Gear Library
The Katahdin Gear Library is a gear-lending library, outdoor adventure club, and public space for people of all ages to access equipment and tools, information and leadership, and to connect with people around a common interest in outdoor adventure and recreation. Learn more about it here, and follow the gear library on Facebook for the most up-to-date information.
Ski and snowshoe lending will begin in late December or early January, depending on snowfall.
During our ski and snowshoe-lending season (winter-early spring), please visit the library during our hours of operation and ask for a ski/snowshoe check out form.
- Borrowers must be 18 years or older and have a valid Millinocket Memorial Library card (Borrowers under 18 must have a legal guardian present with an MML library card). Register for a library card here.
- Boats and paddle boards can be checked out for one week at at time.
- Gear can be renewed, in person or by calling the library, for up to one additional week, if no other patrons are waiting for it.
- There is a fine of $1 per day that gear is returned late.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
When can I check out skis and snowshoes?
Whenever the library is open. In addition to our volunteers at the circulation desk downstairs providing regular library services, we strive to have at least one person upstairs dedicated to Katahdin Gear Library at all times.
What type of skis and snowshoes does the KGL lend?
We offer snowshoes and both cross-country and skate-style skis for kids and adults.
What if I lose or damage something?
You are responsible for the replacement cost for any lost or significantly damaged gear. Replacement costs are below:
- Ski– $110
- Adult ski pole– $40-50, youth ski pole– $25
- Nordic ski boot– $90
- Adult snowshoe– $150, youth snowshoe– $90
Where should I ski or snowshoe in the Millinocket area?
There are many places in the Katahdin region to ski or snowshoe, but a few local options are listed below:
- Jerry Pond (Beginner)
- Penobscot River Trails (Beginner)
- Northern Timber Cruisers Trails (Beginner, Intermediate)
- Bait Hole Trails (Intermediate)
- New England Outdoor Center (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced)
Does the gear library accept ski or snowshoe donations?
At this time, we do not accept gear donations, due to limited space. Thank you for thinking of us!
Does the gear library do ski or snowshoe repairs?
We do not currently have the capacity to provide ski or snowshoe repairs. If you have skills in this area and would like to be involved, please email Matt DeLaney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gear library staff do not provide instruction in how to use the gear. However, below are a few resources to get you started: