Patron Services Specialist
The mission of the Millinocket Memorial Library is to enrich lives by building community, inspiring imaginations, and empowering individuals through lifelong learning. As an innovative partner in the Katahdin region, the library brings organizations together to create new programs and services that support a thriving community for all. This is not your traditional library; from circulating free outdoor gear, to coordinating mutual aid and transportation, we are continually adapting to meet the unique needs of our community.
Library staff are stewards of an essential community space and resource hub. As a workplace, we value respectful and transparent communication, partnership, and engagement. Although the experience and qualifications listed below would be helpful, if you share our values and have the abilities and traits we’re looking for, all necessary training will be provided.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide excellent customer service to patrons
- Serve as a knowledgeable advocate for regional resources, services, and programs
- Oversee and provide basic library services, including circulation, interlibrary loans, library card registration, and use of meeting rooms
- Offer technical assistance in use of public computers, printers, and our ebook application
- Interview, train, and supervise circulation desk volunteers and staff; maintain schedule
- In collaboration with other team members, develop procedures and systems that improve circulation desk functioning and the patron experience; integrate technology support solutions
- Collection management, including shelving, purchasing, cataloging, weeding
- Set a welcoming, calm, and inclusive tone for the library space
- Perform other tasks as assigned
The ideal candidate will excel at engaging with and assisting people, be energized by working in a collaborative environment, get excited about providing an excellent customer experience, love learning new things on the go, and be a calm force in the midst of chaos.
- Flexible, curious, and comfortable learning while doing
- Self-motivated and ambitious, with excellent independent judgment
- Able to manage a wide variety and great number of demands, sometimes in a short timeframe
- Patient and comfortable with working with people of all ages, people with disabilities, and people with mental health challenges
- Desire and ability to provide courteous, friendly, efficient customer service to our patrons
- Ease in communicating with people warmly and professionally, whether assisting a patron, training a volunteer, or answering the phone
Ideal Skills and Experience
- Customer service experience
- Experience training and supervising others
- Familiarity with community groups and resources in the Katahdin Region
- Experience working in a library
- Familiarity with Google Drive
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks
- Attention to detail
- Excellent computer skills; ability to troubleshoot computer problems
- High School Diploma or GED
Physical Demands and Safety
- This position requires regular standing, occasional sitting, reaching with hands and arms, climbing or balancing, and stooping, kneeling, or crouching. You will have to regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- COVID-19 Precautions: At MML, we take the risks of the pandemic seriously. Patrons and staff socially distance and wear masks at all times in public spaces. We regularly reassess our COVID-19 policies and procedures based on the current risk factors in our area.
Must be willing to work Saturdays, occasional evenings, and occasional special events. Position is 35-40 hours/week. Hourly rate is $16-$22 / hour commensurate upon experience and includes benefits package.
Email resume, cover letter, and three references to Library Director, Matt DeLaney (firstname.lastname@example.org). Due to COVID-19, interviews will be conducted virtually. The deadline to apply is April 16, 2021.